Visit Dalby Farm and take a General Animal Tour. Our tours offer an interactive, educational and fun-filled adventure for school groups, daycare facilities, camps, church and scout groups. Our strong determination to teach the preservation, conservation and appreciation of plants and animals is the foundation of our educational programs.
Each guided animal tour can be customized to your needs according to the age level or areas of interest. General Animal Tour participants will learn interesting and fun facts about plants and animals. General information about the various species on the farm is discussed. In addition, a presentation outlining some of the different animal foods and products is given. Following this, time is allotted for each group participant to investigate and examine each item through ‘hands on’. For a more detailed, breed-specific, informational tour that also highlights habitats and animal adaptations, the Rare Breeds Discovery should be considered. It is a wonderful option for older elementary school aged children.
Following the animal tour, the opportunity to actually meet and interact with some of the animals will be offered. There is a snack/picnic area available for groups to relax and enjoy the surrounding farm ambiance. Groups planning to use the snack area following the tour must leave any food in the ‘coop’ beforehand.
It is important to remember that the majority of animals that live on Dalby Farm are endangered breeds. Treating them with respect and consideration is very important. Feeding the animals is strictly prohibited.General Animal Tours are offered Monday through Friday, May 1st through October 31st. Depending on availability, we also may have some availability on the weekend.
- Sign up for a General Animal Tour, Monday through Friday; tours run May 1st through October 31st. Depending on availability, we also may have some availability on the weekend.
- If you’re studying Life Cycles, be sure to check out our 2-day Life Cycles Enrichment Program which is offered in May and June only! Day 1, children learn and then have fun making a curriculum related craft, while in the classroom. Day 2 makes it all come together, when everyone comes to the farm for a visit!
- During the spring time only, we celebrate the Spring Hatch Eggs-travaganza. Any animal tour booked during this time will also see and learn about our new chick arrivals. In addition, during this time only, we offer groups the option of booking a ‘Spring Egg Hunt’…the perfect way to end the day.
- All visits must be scheduled and will last approximately 60 minutes (Times will vary depending on the age and size of the group).
- If the snack/picnic area is not used,the cost is $4.50 per person, or a minimum of $75.00.
- However, if you choose to use the snack/picnic area, the cost is $6.00 per person, or a minimum of $100.00. Additional time is added to the visit to accommodate this option.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES AVAILABLE, ask us for details.
- For large school, camp or recreation groups, one FREE chaperone may attend for every 15 students in the group. For any small group, however, where minimum fees are charged, FREE chaperones are not given.
- $75 non-refundable deposit due upon booking to guarantee tour date, balance due on day of tour. (In case of cancellation due to inclement weather, and the visit is not rescheduled, the deposit will be returned).
- There is a $35.00 service fee for any returned checks.
- It is very important to ARRIVE ON TIME! Depending on other scheduled bookings for the day, your tardiness could cut into the time allocated for your tour.
- It is suggested that groups should have at least one chaperone per ten children.
- Dates and times are subject to weather and availability.
- Outhouse (port-a-potty) facilities are available on site.
- Snack/picnic area.
- Tours are held light rain or shine. If there are heavy downpours on the day of the animal tour, you will be given the option of rescheduling.
- You can visit our on-site Country Store at the end of the tour.
My colleagues and I have been bringing our first graders to Dalby Farm for 9 years and look forward to returning again next year. The farm is beautiful and Cheryl and the other farm based educators make the experience a memorable one. The kids love seeing the animals, and we love that they are learning something connected to our science curriculum. This farm is such a great resource to the South Shore Community. I would highly recommend Dalby Farm as a place to visit, and if you are a teacher, definitely consider Dalby Farm as a field trip experience for your students! You won’t regret it.
Grade One Teacher
Hull Public Schools
180 Harborview Road
Hull, MA 02045